Microbangs: A History Lesson

I have had bangs on and off for a few years. One year, I was cutting them on my own and they turned into microbangs. Before ManRepeller was branded, I simply equated man repellent with the micro bang. Why you ask? Well, they are quite unconventional but you also can't look away from them. I decided to pay tribute to this alternative style because I feel a huge part of myself lies within it. Even when my bangs are longer, I still love all that it stands for. So here it goes, without further a-do I bring you the history of the MICROBANG.




Beauty BreakdownWhat are microbangs? Also known as "baby bangs", they are bangs typically cut several inches above the eyebrows

Origin? There isn't much info about these bangs, but from my research I can say with confidence this look is a refined version of the Bettie Page bangs. Although silent actress Louise Brooks began this trend, it really didn't revive itself until Bettie came along. Funnily enough, Page only cut her bangs this way at the request of a photographer who thought her forehead was reflecting too much light during a photo shoot.

Media Exposure: Over time, the ongoing theme with this type of look was that it was typically affiliated with the alternative scene. Whether it was Kathleen Hanna singing with Bikini Kill, Winona Ryder as Lydia Deetz, or Shannyn Sossamon in pretty much every movie she has ever been in, this look was often shared by the strong, misunderstood heroine.

Model Behavior: Now I can not mention these bangs without mentioning fashion shows. From Alexander Wang to Marc Jacobs, many designers have featured this type of style in their shows. These designers are also typically the less conservative of fashion labels, further driving the idea that this style of hair is reserved for the alternative.

Honorable Mention: Drew Barrymore, who is the unspoken pixie flower queen of the 90's, Krysten Ritter, who has been rocking these bangs on television for quite some time, Hayley Williams, for having thee shortest microbangs I have ever seen, and Grimes, everyone's favorite new it gal.


90's Microbangs 

Modern Microbangs in Hollywood


Microbangs in Fashion

Final Thoughts: This style isn't for many, but if you want to try something new and feel up to it, I would say try these bangs out. No, it is not a conventional beauty look, but do you really want to look a certain way only because it's what others are comfortable with? Make them all uncomfortable and cut em off! Tell your hairdresser Gabby sent ya ;) 


Extras:
Here is a video on how to do these bangs yourself, cut at your own risk.

LOVE,
GAB

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts