Get Ready With Me

It's wedding time! No, I am not getting married, but I know two super rad people who are getting married?!? That's pretty exciting, I'd say. It's a destination wedding aka tropical climate aka a lot of makeup will look insanely cakey. With that in mind, I decided to practice my makeup look now before I am disoriented in 95 degree weather. Below are some photographs of what I'll be wearing as well as a break down of my makeup look. Enjoy!


The DRESS
Where I purchased: Poshmark.com
Why I love it: So I have a few tattoos (no I am not covered), but the ones I do have are quite ummm, well, loud. I wanted a dress that would compliment the tattoos I do have. There is something about tattoos and body con dresses that just doesn't sit well with me. Going the bohemian or "boho chic" route works in my favor when I have to dress up. Like how I said "have to" dress up?? Dressing up is a chore for me, but I make the best of it.
Dress Logic: I will be in a tropical climate, meaning humidity. Humidity makes clothes stick to the body, so a form fitting dress was a major no no. This dress is form fitting at the top, but airy and free flowing at the bottom, perfect mix of both!

Photo courtesy of FreePeople.com

The Shoes 
Where I purchased: Forever 21
Why I love them: They complimented the dress nicely and were comfortable! I usually wouldn't wear wedges to a wedding, but the style of this dress worked well with it. Ladies, be big girls and wear stilletto pointed shoes, unless the wedges actually work. In this case, they do. *whew*

Photo courtesy of Forever21.com

The Makeup
Concept: I wanted to incorporate one of the accent colors in the dress into the makeup. The purple and pink stood out to me, so I decided to use my Wet n Wild lipstick in Charred Cherry, featured in my recent January Favorites post. For eye shadow, I did a bronze look from my Makeup Forever Artist Palette, another feature in my Makeup Gifts post.





Steps for the Eyes
  1. Apply primer, I used Lime Crime High Performing Waterproof Primer
  2.  Apply concealer under the brow bone and set with a shade complimentary to your skin tone.
  3.  Use a matte shade in your crease, I used a matte brown shade called Tyranny from the Urban Decay Pulp Fiction Palette, I used brown since I am using a brighter bronze shade for the lid. I did not want to stray too far from the bronze look, however, I think a matte purple would look great in the crease as well.
  4.  I have a large lid, so I covered my entire crease with the matte shade. I advise using discretion if you are working with a smaller lid. 
  5.  I wanted the eye shadow for the lid to be shiny, so before applying, I sprayed my brush with my  MAC Fix Plus Spray. The formula does not work against the eye shadow and instead creates a thickening effect, making the shadow more intense. I then applied the shadow with gentle patting motions until I achieved the desired color. 
  6. To make the eyes darker I applied a dark matte brown eye shadow called Vengeance under the lower lash line. 
  7. Finish off eyes with liquid liner, I used Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner for the top lash line and my Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara for the lashes (I could do my lashes all day, darker the better!!)
Steps for the Complexion
  1. Prep skin with moisturizer. I used my Dr. D Schwab Flawless Skin Fluid and applied it with a Beauty Blender. Beauty Blenders are great for helping product melt into the skin.
  2. Once the moisturizer sets in, apply a primer. I used the Loreal Magic Perfecting Base, focusing it under my eyes and my cheeks, where my awesome pores like to linger. 
  3. I really wanted a "glowy" look so I mixed my Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint in Medium and the Revlon Photolights Skin Illuminator, applied with my beauty blender.
  4. I then used a light amount of my Loreal True Match Foundation in N4, I say light because any heavier and it would look awful in that hot hot heat!
  5. Concealer is hard for me, my dark circles are aggressive. I need to use two. First I begin with the Maybelline Age Rewind Concealer in Light. I apply by making a triangle under the eyes and blending out with my Sephora Airbrush Concealer Brush (best brush ever).
  6. Once the first concealer is set, I apply a darker concealer, I used my  Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer in Light (been using this for four years now!!)
  7. Finally we can SET all this stuff with a finishing powder! Use a light hand when setting your makeup, or you will run the risk of creasing and cakeyness, ick. I used my Ben Nye Banana Powder 
  8. Time for contouring, blush, and highlight (in that order). I am dedicated to my Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit, I focus my contour under my cheekbones and the bridge of my nose (just a little).
  9. I went for Melba by MAC for my blush, it is the perfect matte peach blush!
  10. When highlighting I enjoy layering, first with a cream and last with a powder highlighter. For the cream I used NYX Born to Glow Illuminator, focusing on the high points of my cheeks, and down the center of my nose. I set this with a gold eyeshadow by Stila. It came in a palette that they no longer sell! Before brands sold highlighters, most people just used eyeshadow! There are no rules :)


Final Thoughts
Whew!!! I am considering making YouTube videos in my future, only because writing every thing step by step is so meticulous lol, although editing a video sounds terrible, WE'LL SEE. Anyways, when going to a wedding you should not upstage the bride but you should be happy with what you picked out! I consider weddings like little award shows. It is fun to piece together a look and check out what other people came up with too! I will be away for a few days, but when I get back I have so much planned for this blog! As always, thanks for reading. Don't be shy and leave some feedback! Also, follow me on IG @gogogabz --Instagram is a great place to follow me because I typically announce on IG when I will do scheduled blog posts! 

With Love,
Gogogabz







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts