60's Makeup Icons

So after my David Bowie makeup extravaganza, yes that's what I'm calling it, I decided to do another look from the past. This weekend, I stayed in and had a movie marathon (by myself, my boyfriend always manages to doze off). I turned to my trusty Netflix to find it was currently featuring a timeless Hollywood classic called Valley of the Dolls, starring Patty Duke, Sharon Tate, and Barbara Perkins. Now, even if you aren't interested in the plot, it is still a great movie to watch for the fashion and the makeup. Sharon Tate's look had me the most inspired, which then sent me on a Pinterest spree of influential looks from the 60's. From there, I decided to do my take on a hybrid of Twiggy and Edie Sedgwick makeup. The teacher in me can not let you read through this without getting some background knowledge on these ladies! Keep reading for a mini history lesson on 60's girls, how I did my makeup, products I used, and the final outcome!........


Who is Twiggy?

  • Real name: Lesley Lawson
  • Stomping Ground: UK
  • Claim to Fame: Model
  • Signature look: Pixie cut, Doe eyes, Androgynous
  • Her Genius: Layering a lot of false lashes and drawing fake ones, aka "twigs", on the lower lash line




Who is Edie?


  • Real name: Edith Minturn Sedgwick
  • Stomping Ground: NYC
  • Claim to Fame: Andy Warhol's Factory Girl
  • Signature look: Bleach blonde, Pixie Cut, Nude lips, Dark brows, Cut crease eyeshadow
  • Her Genius: Developing her own trademark look that helped make her the star of many of Warhol's art films.


On to the transformation!


This look calls for QUADRUPLE, yes quadruple, the eyeliner. Eye liner is used in the crease, upper lash line, lower lash line, and the water line. 


Steps
1.Primed eyes with Lime Crime Primer , you always need a primer for eyes ladies! ALWAYS.
2. Using my Bh Cosmetics Palette , I began to swipe a Matte Beige shadow all over the lid, this also helps set your primer (yes, you need to set an eyeshadow primer!)
3. You can use any color on the main part of the lid, but I chose a baby blue hue since I found that many women in the 60's fancied this color.
4.Continue packing on your hue on the main part of your lid to achieve the desired level of color
5. Now it's time for the cut crease! To do this, I used my Sephora Gel Eyeliner in Black and my Smashbox Arced Liner Brush and created what I like to call an "upside down rainbow" from the inner crease to the outer crease, I also angled out the liner once I got to the outer crease, this created a "cat eye effect"
6. For the top of my lash line, I used the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liner in Black to create another cat eye
7. Going back with the Sephora Gel Liner, I then lined my lower lash line
8. To complete the eyeliner portion of this look, I lined my waterline with Sephora Collection Contour Eye Pencil in Beige
9. I have pretty long lashes, so I used my two favorite mascaras and layered and layered and layered- Better Than Sex Mascara and Stila Glamoureyes Mascara
10.From here I did my usual routine of foundation and contouring. The only thing I did differently was less highlighter because it did not reflect a true representation of the look and I traded in my signature peachy blush for a Baby Pink Blush called "Shy" by ELF
11.Lastly, to get the nude lips I used Fantasia Lip Liner and Madere Pure Matte Lipstick, both by Nars. I chose a baby pink hue, but beige could also work for this look!


Extra Advice
Take your TIME with the cut crease! It looks like one sweeping motion, but when using gel liner, it is a bit trickier. If I were to try this again, I would use an eyeliner pencil instead!

My Experience
I enjoyed this look because of how dramatic it was. It's amazing to me that many women of this era walked around like this when they went out for the night! I paired it with a faux fur jacket to feel the look more and it definitely worked.

Final Thoughts
To some,  it may seem odd for a girl to experiment with wacky makeup looks and subsequently have a mock photoshoot in their apartment, I get it. However, it is a great way to practice makeup techniques, boost your confidence, and take a trip down memory lane. Before the days of Pinterest and Instagram, I would sit for hours on my computer looking at vintage photographs of women who came before me. It's incredible to see how much these looks have evolved and the creativity of these influential, fabulous ladies. There are certainly many style icons of today, but if you look back you'll see a lot of those looks are upcycled looks from days past. It is good to know your history ladies and gents.

Until next time! Thanx for stopping by  :)

With Love,
Gogogabz

Follow me on IG @gogogabz


Comments

  1. Love this look! You wear it so well :) 60s looks are some of my faves, and I love to do toned down versions for going out with friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was thinking of doing a refined version of this for another post! What's your favorite product to use when you do a cut crease? Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts